|

3-time champion questionable for 72nd Bourbon Open golf tournament

Special to the Nelson County Gazette

Thursday, May 18, 2017 — Three-time champion and local favorite Patrick Conway remains a question mark as far as his participation in this weekend’s Bourbon Open golf tournament.

Three-time Bourbon Open champion Patrick Conway.

The Bourbon Open is one of Kentucky’s oldest and most popular golfing events. Since 1945, the Bourbon Open has drawn thousands of golfers to the Bourbon Capital of the World to celebrate great golf, great food, and great bourbon.

According to a press release, Conway has a torn tendon in his left elbow, also known as tennis elbow. He told the Nelson County Gazette his orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Duber, has been working relentlessly in an effort to make it bearable for him to play this weekend.

“It’s pretty painful to even pick up a club,” Conway said.

Conway had played in 39 straight Bourbon Open tournaments until missing his first tournament last year due to his being out of town to celebrate his 30th wedding anniversary with his wife, Julie.

“I would hate to miss the BO two years in a row,” Conway said. “My chances of winning another title is getting lower and lower each year, but It’s more about playing with same friends all these years.

“It will be a Sunday morning decision if I can play, but regardless I will enjoy the awesome weekend festivities.”

This year marks the 72nd year for the annual golf tournament. For a full schedule of events, click here to visit the Bourbon Open Facebook page.

-30-


Print pagePDF pageEmail page

Comments are closed

Archives