Higdon: Court challenges expected for Kentucky redistricting plan
STAFF REPORT
Tuesday, Jan. 24, 20-12, 2 p.m. — Sen. Jimmy Higdon may no longer represent Nelson County, but that could change depending on the outcome of a pair of lawsuits that will be filed to challenge HB-1, the redistricting legislation signed into law last week by Gov. Steve Beshear.
Higdon, a Marion County Republican, appeared today as a guest on the “Brooks & Company” talk radio program on 1320 AM WBRT, and told host Jim Brooks he expected at least two court challenges to the redistricting legislation. Higdon said he anticipates a lawsuit will be filed on behalf of state Sen. Kathy Stein, who was effectively redistricted out of her seat in the state Senate.
He said a lawsuit would request an immediate injunction to stop implementation of the plan. If granted, it might mean that Higdon could once again represent Nelson County if the courts are required to tackle redistricting. “It’s hard to say, but I may be back with Nelson County before it is over,” he said.
Last week state Rep. David Floyd withdrew his candidate filing for the 50th District House seat and refiled for the newly revised 15th District Senate seat. Former Bardstown Mayor and Democrat Dick Heaton has announced his intention to file for Floyd’s 50th District House seat. His filing was posted this afternoon on the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website.
In other election filings, Commonwealth Attorney Terry L. Geoghegan has filed Monday to retain his office in the 10th Judicial Circuit.
-30-